Friday, July 21, 2017

Super Mario Odyssey: A Return to Form!



1996 was one of the best years of my entire life. Not just because I got to have a birthday with all my friends. Not just because my mother made me a delicious tiramisu cake, but because this was the day I got a Nintendo 64, the greatest video game console of all time. And with the console came Super Mario 64, my first ever three-dimensional video game I ever played. This game changed my entire life! Until Ocarina of Time was released, I believed no video game could ever surpass Super Mario 64 in all its glory! The graphics at the time were revolutionary and beautiful, the gameplay simple and near flawless, and the music awe-inspiring. Although Rareware would prove during the N64's lifespan to become a worthy competitor to the likes of Banjo Kazooie, Donkey Kong 64, and Conkers Bad Fur Day.



Then came Super Mario Sunshine, and my feelings toward this game were ambivalent at best. I enjoyed the open world atmosphere but was not a fan of the super soaker mechanics or really cheesy characters. The platforming was excellent, but the same charm that so captivated me with Super Mario 64 was gone! Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, however, gave me high hope that the Super Mario franchise could return to form, and it appears that finally, Nintendo is ready to make right.



Super Mario Odessy is an absolutely stunningly beautiful looking game. It combines open-world gameplay with outstanding platforming excellence, new power-ups, new bosses, and a massive world to explore and jump around in!  The graphics are brilliant, nearly Pixar quality in their rendition, complete with a modernized Koji Kondo soundtrack. My hope is that Luigi makes an appearance, complete with full co-op online gameplay. Imagine playing score attack racing with friends to witness who can complete a level first!  Due to the Nintendo Switch, and its unique position in the console market as both a home console and portable gaming device; Super Mario Odyssey holds a unique situation, as potentially being the first portable Super Mario entry in the franchise, with cooperative gameplay and console HD graphics combined into one cohesive unit!

If you found this article interesting or have any comments be sure to share and Connect with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment